- A key transmission method for COVID-19 is through respiratory droplets that people expel when they breathe, cough, sneeze or talk when near each other. It is widely known that people can be infected and contagious with COVID-19 without having any symptoms.
- The CDC and other public health authorities regard universal mask wearing to be an important transmission prevention tool during the coronavirus pandemic. Currently Alameda County requires masks to be worn in all public spaces/businesses/facilities.
- We take seriously our responsibility to reduce the risk of transmitting COVID19 both for your safety and for our staff.
What do I need to know about Sarana’s mask policy?
- When you come in for acupuncture, your mask must cover both your nose and mouth.
- If your mask has a one-way respirator valve, we will ask you to replace it — Those kinds of masks do not filter out droplets that you exhale.
- If you do not have an appropriate mask when you arrive, we will ask you to either rent or purchase one from us.
- We will have simple pleated ear loop cotton cloth masks for rent or purchase. Tatyana has been making these masks for the clinic for the past few weeks (see photo).
- We will also have a limited number of disposable pleated “surgical style” ear loop masks available to purchase and wear during your clinic visit (one per visit per client).
- Our strong preference is that you arrive with your own clean/sanitized or freshly laundered (if cloth) face covering, one you are comfortable wearing without further adjustments.
- Please avoid touching the mask. Please sanitize your hands after adjusting it.
I want to make my own mask — what do you recommend?
There are many instructions for making your own cloth masks. If you are sewing extra masks and wish to donate some to Sarana, please contact us.
- Here is a mask you can make from a t-shirt — no sewing required.
- And here is a good simple mask for people who can sew a little (no sewing machine required). If you don’t have elastic, this mask works very well with t-shirt string ear loops.
- If you have a sewing machine, here is a good mask pattern.
If you have extra disposable masks to donate to Sarana, we will gratefully accept them!
If you want to make a donation to the clinic to help defray our costs for masks and other protective materials, you can do so here.
Please reach out if you have any questions.
Stay well and take care of yourself and your community.
We miss you and will be in touch soon!